If you are lime me and a big fan of the fresh Mex restaurants like Costa Vida, Cafe Rio or Chipotle give this recipe a try. This saved us when we lived in Hawaii and there were no restaurants like this on any of the islands!
Makes 8 cups of cooked rice
- 4 c. uncooked rice, (long-grain, white rice is best but you can use any rice)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 8 cloves garlic, minced (or 4 tsp of minced garlic from the jar or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 8 cups water (or up to the “4” line if using a rice cooker)
- 1 Tbsp & 1 tsp “Better than Bouillon” chicken stock or 4 bouillon cubes
- 4 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup fresh chopped cilantro
1-Put the first 6 ingredients in a rice cooker and start the rice cooker. (If you don’t have a rice cooker, put the first 6 ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender. Remove from heat.)
2-In a small bowl combine lime juice, sugar and cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice and mix in as you fluff the rice.
*This is perfect for soft tacos, burritos or taco salads.
Adapted from https://therecipecritic.com/2012/08/cafe-rio-copycat-cilantro-lime-rice/